Wang Jianzhou Retired as Chairman of China Mobile03-22 18:10 Caijing
Wang Jianzhou, the 63 years old chairman of China Mobile Ltd retired this Wednesday, succeeded by his vice chairman—Xi Guohua. The news caused shares of China Mobile, to rise 2.3 percent on Wednesday, outperforming the Hang Seng Index's 0.2 percent dip.
As with all leaders, Wang has his supporters and critics.
Supporters described Wang as an “ambitious leader fond of challenges and value strategy”. In his days, China Mobile dominated the telecommunication market of rural area and united 32 subsidiaries. In 2006, Wang ranked 14th by Business Week in “The Best Boss worldwide” as one of the first entrepreneurs from mainland awarded this honor.
However, many employees of China Mobile complained of their poor salary and heavy workload. Moreover, despite of a 5-year-long marathon negotiation, Wang still failed to reach an agreement with Apple on getting I-phone to support TD-SCDMA technology (China Mobile’s core tech).
That leaves a serious challenge for his successor XI, as the future telecommunication market of China is definitely a world of 3G.
"The industry trend is to migrate to 3G. In that sense, China Mobile's network is an issue because they are using TD-SCDMA. And they have supply chain issues on the handsets," said Michael Meng, an analyst at BOC International. "China Telecom and China Unicom will take market share from China Mobile."
Editors’ Picks »
- 1China to Introduce Its 401K Tax-Deferred Pension Scheme in 2014
- 2Ten-Year-Old Chinese Girl Abuses Baby, Shocks Nation
- 3China Adds "Debt Issue" in Assessing Local Officials, Shifts away from GDP Obsession
- 4China Makes a Key Step Towards RMB Deposit Rate Liberalization
- 5Wang Jianlin Eyes the China's Growing E-Commerce Market
- 6China’s Online Retail Sales to Top CNY1.8Tln This Year: Commerce Minister
- 7Conference Maps Nation's Path for 2014
- 8The Future of E-Commerce in Asia-Pacific
- 9China’s Asian Import-Export Figures Indicative of Growing Ties
- 10China’s November M2 Up 14.2 pt Y-on-Y