No Signs of Trade War Between China and US, Europe: Long Yongtu04-01 16:02 Caijing
A former foreign trade vice minister deflected sayings that China is likely to embrace a trade war between the United States and the Europe, referring to recent mounting trade frictions.
"There have been no signs of a trade war" between China and the two economies, said Long Yongtu, who is now Secretary-General of the Boao Forum for Asia, according to Finance.china.com.cn.
Long is attending the BFA in south China's coastal city of Hainan, which gathers leaders from government, business and academia in Asia and other countries.
The public and media should be cautious in using the word "trade war", said Long, warning that "a reckless escalation of the current Sino-US trade problems will be negative to the full picture of bilateral relations."
In fact, the development of trade relations between China and the United States has been proceeding smoothly, as U.S.' exports to China peaked this year, which has dampened trade protectionism in the country, Long said.
The number of trade frictions increased dramatically recently for China, which has suffered eight so far this year, with a total of 2.28 billion U.S. dollars involved, 80 percent higher than last year, the official Xinhua said last week, quoting a Zhong Shan, vice minister of Commerce of China.
Editors’ Picks »
- 1Muddy Waters Bets Against Chinese Banks Citing High Level of Toxic Assets
- 2China's Interest-Rate Challenge
- 3Jiangsu to Build China's First Local Firm to Dispose of NPLs: Report
- 4CNY 3.5 Tln of LGFVs to Come Due in China in Two or Three Years
- 5China’s Provincial GDP Figures in 2012
- 6Southern China Tightens Scrutiny on Rice Tainted with Cancer-Causing Cadmium
- 7Goldman Sachs Sells out ICBC Stake, Reaps 7Bln over 7 Years
- 8North Korea Detained 16 Chinese Fishermen, Demanding a Ransom of CNY600,000: Global Times
- 9China Property Prices Climb Slower in April on Local Cooling Measures
- 10President Xi to Meet with Obama in June After Trinidad and Tobago, Costa Rica, Mexico Trip