China Slams U.S. Defense Strategy01-10 00:00 财经网
China’s defense ministry on Monday slammed the U.S. Asia-focused strategy and deflected its document released last week.
The U.S.’ accusations of a lack of openness in Beijing’s military policy were “groundless and untrustworthy,” spokesman with the Ministry of National Defense Geng Yansheng said, in a statement posted on its website written in questions and answers.
“We have noticed the document of U.S. defense strategy, and will closely monitor the influence of its shifts in military strategies over the Asia Pacific Region, as well as global security,” said the statement.
The document shifts the U.S. military focus away from Iraq and Afghanistan and makes a renewed commitment to assert America’s position in the Asia-Pacific region.
Growth of China’s military power must be accompanied by greater clarity in its strategic intentions to avoid causing friction in the region, the document says.
The accusations were “groundless”, the statement said, quoting Geng, “as we all know, china’s strategies in defense and military construction are consistent and clear, and China’s peaceful development is a chance rather than a challenge for the world community including the United States.”
It also said that the U.S. military authority should “speak and act with
caution”, and do more things that are in favor of bilateral relations and
regional peace and stability.
Editors’ Picks »
- 1China to Cut Reserve Ratio for Some Rural Banks
- 2China M2 up 12.1Pc, Outstanding Yuan Loans 13.9 Pc in March
- 3Delayed Response to Tainted Water Raises Concerns
- 4China's FDI Inflow down 1.47% in March
- 5China's MMG to Acquire Las Bambas
- 6China’s Rare Earth Exchange Begins Trading Following WTO Ruling
- 7Alibaba’s Q4 Net Income More than Doubles Ahead of IPO
- 8China Trade Fair Shadowed by Weak Exports
- 9Embassy Says 2 Chinese Nationals Aboard Capsized S.Korean Ship
- 10South Korean Ferry Sinks off South Coast