Embassy Says 2 Chinese Nationals Aboard Capsized S.Korean Ship04-17 12:53 Caijing
SEOUL -- The Chinese embassy confirmed Thursday that two Chinese citizens were on board the capsized South Korean ship, but it was still seeking clarification from South Korean authorities.
Two of the passengers aboard the ill-fated ship from the western port city of Incheon to the southern resort island of Jeju were confirmed to be Chinese nationals, an official with the Chinese embassy said.
But the South Korean coast guard could not identify them by checking the personal information passengers provided while purchasing tickets, and the Chinese embassy requested South Korean authorities to further examine the lead, the official added.
Meanwhile, a Xinhua correspondent learned that the relatives of the two passengers claimed to have seen them get aboard the ship with a vehicel in security camera footage.
According to local regulations, passengers with a vehicle could board the ship by only registering the plate number, instead of giving their personal information, which might explain why South Korean authorities failed to find the information of the two Chinese passengers.
Search for ferry passengers resumes
Search operations resumed in full scale Thursday for hundreds of passengers missing after their ferry sank off South Korea's southern coast a day earlier in what is believed to be one of the country's deadliest offshore accidents.
Nine out of 475 passengers, mostly high school students, aboard the 6,325-ton ferry Sewol have been confirmed dead so far, while 179 others have been rescued. But the fate of the remaining 287 remains unknown amid growing fears they are trapped inside the sunken ship.
Combing the submerged ship is the top priority in the search, though diving operations have been hampered by poor underwater visibility and strong currents at the scene. A total of 555 Navy, Coast Guard and other divers have been mobilized for the operations, officials said.
The water is very murky as currents stir up mud lying at the bottom of the sea, officials said.
"We carried out underwater searches five times from midnight until early in the morning, but strong currents and the murky water pose tremendous obstacles," said Kang Byung-kyu, minister for security and public administration, during a press briefing. "We will do our best."
Also mobilized to scour the area are 169 boats and 29 aircraft, Kang said. Two salvage cranes are also on their way to the scene to raise the sunken vessel, with one of them expected to arrive on Friday morning and the other in the evening, the minister said.
The ferry was on its way to the southern resort island of Jeju after from the port of Incheon, west of Seoul, when it sent a distress signal at 8:58 a.m. Wednesday. The circumstance leading to calling for help was not yet known, though survivors said they heard a bang before the vessel started tilting over.
Experts say the vessel could have hit an underwater rock.
The Coast Guard has been questioning the ship's captain and other crew members to determine what went wrong. Coast Guard officials said they found that the ill-fated ship deviated from a government-recommended route.
The ship also made a sharp turn in direction although it is supposed to make a gradual turn, Coast Guard officials said. The loud bang before the sinking could be from cargo shifting from the turn, experts said.
A total of 325 passengers were students from a high school in Ansan, just south of Seoul. They were on a school trip to Jeju and about 200 of the students remain unaccounted for.
The nine dead included four 17-year-old students and a 25-year-old teacher from the high school, as well as a 22-year-old female crew member. But the identities of the other three were not immediately known.
The Coast Guard said that three foreigners, including two Filipinos, were on board, without giving further details on the identity and the condition of the three.
The government has come under strong fire over its handling of the disaster. It has even been unable to figure out exactly how many people were aboard the ship, and it revised the figure, as well as the numbers of those rescued and missing, many times.
Survivors also blamed the ship's crew, saying they were repeatedly told to stay put where they were, even when the ship began tilting. Had they been told to evacuate earlier, more people would have survived the disaster, they said.
Reports say the ship's captain was one of the first to leave the vessel.
Police, meanwhile, are trying to check the authenticity of an alleged text message sent to one of the missing students' family members claiming that several people have survived in an air pocket of the capsized ferry, officers said.
The police, however, said they are not ruling out the possibility that the message could have been sent by someone as a prank.
The ship, which plies between Incheon and Jeju twice a week, was built in Japan in 1994, is 146 meters long and 22 meters wide, and has the maximum capacity of carrying 921 people, 180 vehicles and 152 shipping containers at the same time.
The United States expressed its condolences to the families of those killed.
"We extend our deepest condolences to the loved ones of those who lost their lives on board the South Korea ferry, the Sewol," Marie Harf, the State Department's deputy spokeswoman, said at the start of a daily press briefing.
She described the incident as a "terrible tragedy."
The United States is ready to provide any assistance needed in the ongoing search-and-rescue efforts, she said.
On Wednesday, the US military send an amphibious assault ship equipped with two helicopters to the scene to help with the search and rescue operations. The ship was on its routine patrol mission in the western sea.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon also expressed condolences and sympathy for the victims.
The article was originally published on China Daily.
Editors’ Picks »
- 1China to Cut Reserve Ratio for Some Rural Banks
- 2China M2 up 12.1Pc, Outstanding Yuan Loans 13.9 Pc in March
- 3Delayed Response to Tainted Water Raises Concerns
- 4China's FDI Inflow down 1.47% in March
- 5China's MMG to Acquire Las Bambas
- 6China’s Rare Earth Exchange Begins Trading Following WTO Ruling
- 7Alibaba’s Q4 Net Income More than Doubles Ahead of IPO
- 8China Trade Fair Shadowed by Weak Exports
- 9Embassy Says 2 Chinese Nationals Aboard Capsized S.Korean Ship
- 10South Korean Ferry Sinks off South Coast