China's total fertility rate is far below the intergenerational replacement level, fertility desire has shown a continued downturn, the absolute quantity of labor fell for the first time, and the population is aging faster expected. This has led to an increased financial burden on the young workforce who must support their elderly kin and caused one million families that have lost their only child to suffer even more serious spiritual and supporting plight.
The various contradictions show that adjusting birth policy is a major reform area that involves relatively few special interests and has a large amount of beneficiaries.
Editors’ Picks »
- 1China's Provincial -level "Bad Banks" Start Working: Newspaper
- 2China to Introduce Its 401K Tax-Deferred Pension Scheme in 2014
- 3Ten-Year-Old Chinese Girl Abuses Baby, Shocks Nation
- 4China Authorities Warns Banks Against Use of Bitcoin
- 5China Makes a Key Step Towards RMB Deposit Rate Liberalization
- 6China Mobile’s 4G License Brings Deal with Apple Closer
- 7China Aims to Establish Network of High-level FTAs
- 8Walt Disney Forms Joint Venture in China with BesTV
- 9China Adds "Debt Issue" in Assessing Local Officials, Shifts away from GDP Obsession
- 10The Long Short Run