Bankers, local officials and financial regulators are trying to explain -- and justify -- a stunning surge in new loans.
Market indicators are lagging behind positive data tied to the government's stimulus package. The economy may need more help.
Pro-active steps – and a pause in policymaking – will be needed if China wants to ride out the still-raging global financial storm.
The sudden rise of a CNPC subsidiary on the urban natural gas scene is threatening a fledgling privatization movement.
Two ex-Guangdong leaders are the latest suspects detained for alleged corruption tied to retail tycoon Huang Guangyu.
Export manufacturers are stinging although the latest indicators show signs of a turnaround. Is the economy improving, or not?
Retooling China's economy through product replacement, new technology and emission cuts must include the financial sector.
Three telecoms with fledgling 3G networks are vying for tens of millions of clients in a slowing market. Are their goals reachable?
The new regulation aims to remedy an old problem - with or without regulatory approval, private money flows to fund managers anyway.
A Chinese aluminum company's debt restructuring plan has triggered an acrimonious battle between the company and foreign holders of its debt.
China has a 20-year-old law that's supposed to open courts to grievances against government agencies. Someday, it might work.
Rumor denials were frequent at Citic Pacific before a police raid and Larry Yung's resignation confirmed serious trouble.
The London summit's financing commitment to the IMF is an interesting and useful first step, but it will not herald anything close to a resolution of emerging market problems.
Unfinished business after the G-20 summit revolves around the IMF, including U.S. funding and China's membership quota.
A weak economy, stakeholder conflicts and policy advantages for state-owned carriers are threatening the private airline sector.
Editors’ Picks »
- 1China to Cut Reserve Ratio for Some Rural Banks
- 2China M2 up 12.1Pc, Outstanding Yuan Loans 13.9 Pc in March
- 3Delayed Response to Tainted Water Raises Concerns
- 4China's FDI Inflow down 1.47% in March
- 5China's MMG to Acquire Las Bambas
- 6China’s Rare Earth Exchange Begins Trading Following WTO Ruling
- 7Alibaba’s Q4 Net Income More than Doubles Ahead of IPO
- 8China Trade Fair Shadowed by Weak Exports
- 9Embassy Says 2 Chinese Nationals Aboard Capsized S.Korean Ship
- 10South Korean Ferry Sinks off South Coast